Saturday, May 26, 2007

Stupid Reds...

As all sports fans, I have my ups and downs. Recently I had a couple pretty good ups in watching two of my favorite football teams play for their respective championships as the Buckeyes went to the BCS title game and the Bears to the Super Bowl. Those were obviously followed by two pretty solid lows as both teams failed to win either game...and in the case of the Buckeyes, well, flat out embarrassed. (Of note: If you're favorite team returns the opening kickoff for a touchdown, turn the TV off, it's not going to turn out in your favor.)

One of my other teams of choice is the Blue Jackets, and their futility is pretty well documented. Every team in the National Hockey League has made the post season except one...guess which one? No biggie, we're six years old, it'll happen, and I'll be there. For each game.

So, that leads me to the Redlegs. The team I have likely cheered for the longest. My earliest memory of a live sporting event is sitting at Riverfront Stadium with Grandma Betty and Grandad Clyde taking in the Big Red Machine. I have been a Reds fan for as long as I can remember. I've been to World Series games to watch them play. (And win, Tribe Fan, suck on that! Ha!) I've seen them bulldoze Riverfront and build the GAB, neither of which is a bad move. But as of right now they are proud owners of the worst record in baseball.

Now, SOMEBODY has to have the worst record in baseball, but that somebody has usually been in Kansas City or Detroit or Texas or Tampa...NOT Cincinnati. This is the oldest professional baseball franchise, they're not supposed to be the WORST team in the league!

So, as with the typical season, I'm not so worried about the playoffs at this point, so just try to win a few games, fellas. And most importantly, take 2 of 3 from the Indians next week. I owe one lunch because of last weekend, already...

No comments: