Sunday, August 12, 2007

Star Wars theory

It's no secret I'm a bit of a Star Wars fan. And as any good dad would do, have passed that along to the boys. Brendan is into it way more than Alex, but give Alex a little time.

Now, as fans go, I'm not walking around daily in Jedi garb. I don't own a Stormtrooper costume, nor do I have memorabilia strewn about the house. The "craziest" Star Wars thing I own beyond the DVDs is a skull and crossbones stormtrooper shirt that my loving wife bought for me at MGM-Studios last summer. I do enjoy the movies, and discussion about them, though.

I had always taken the story line as it was presented in the theaters...see Luke struggle with becoming a Jedi, meet his father, find his sister, and defeat the empire. Follow that with how Anakin came to be, how the empire came to be, and how the Jedi were defeated. Add them together in the order they were released and in essence you have a story about Luke and his father. Additionally, I believe the story is told by R2 and 3PO, which I believe was generally accepted in the 80s when the first three movies were coming out.

Later, during a lunch discussion, Jeff offered an alternate theory: Watch them in order of chapter, I-VI, and it becomes a story of the rise and fall of Darth Vader. I found that theory to be pretty interesting, and have passed it along in other discussions.

Then today I'm reading Neal Ford's blog for the first time. Not sure why I hadn't read it before, Neal is an excellent resource in the tech field, and I saw him speak twice at CodeMash last January and enjoyed both sessions. However, in the middle of Neal's blog I come across a post that discusses another theory about Star Wars: A New Sith, or Revenge of the Hope.

If you're a mild fan of Star Wars, read that...it'll get the wheels turning.

3 comments:

James Bender said...

Interesting read, but it's kind of a strech.

Randall Drum said...

Had me for a while, but lost me with the Chewie connection.

Lea Jones said...

My husband is a great fan of Star Wars Costumes and movies. In Star Wars movies he like's the Darth Vader character. for the last Halloween party i gave him Darth Vader Costume and now i am planning to give him
Stormtrooper Costume.