Friday, December 14, 2007

GROK Talk Slides

For all you who sat through my record timed performance of a GROK talk, here are the slides.


Pragmatic Programmer Sermon

I apologize for ripping through it, but the gift exchange loomed. The subject didn't really lend itself to Q&A real well, though I think all the points are important. If you haven't read/borrowed/stolen this book yet, do so today. For the time being, here's the list of tips from the book. I worked off about 20 of them.

Post GROK


A friend of mine recently purchased a restaurant in town. After the Quick festivities I headed there to discuss reworking his website. (I'm working for beer...it's a win, win.) This particular friend spent about 15 years in the local IT market, so he has some contacts.

While I was there a group of four guys strolled in to celebrate the end of the work week. Turns out these four guys were in IT, my buddy strikes up a conversation, since they were buying beer from him and all. They work for a small consulting firm (that I'd never heard of), and were very intrigued to find out that I was a developer. So, they asked the standard sales/recruiting questions...where are you, what do you do, etc. The requisite, "You don't sound so happy, here's my card, we'll pay you more," came out and I smiled politely.

Then they sent over one of their developers, at least they introduced him as such. He struck up a very non-technical discussion about the .Net Framework, PHP, MySQL, and some other buzzwords. I managed to not laugh uncontrollably, and continued to smile politely. Honestly, as soon as he attached "Framework" to .Net, I was done. I would have easily been the most senior person in their shop...probably by a few years. Then it hit me: Do I want to be the mostest seniorest person in a very junior body shop, or a senior member of the development environment I am currently a member of?

Without gushing too much...I'm not going anywhere. The IT talent collected around me at this point is amazing, and Quick keeps bringing it in. The whole, "We'll pay you more!" argument is intriguing, but how much more would it take? I'm in a pretty good position at this point. The advancement within the group is no easy task, but the advancement professionally is as good as it gets.

1 comment:

Matt Casto said...

A very similar thing happened to me a few months ago, and I came to the same conclusion. Plus, when you're in a good environment where ...

a. You're happy,
b. You're learning,
c. You're taken care of as an employee

... how important is advancement?

For me, advancement was always a way to get to a position where I would (hopefully) be happier. While I'm not saying that I wouldn't take the opportunity to advance my career, I definitely feel like I could just stay put for a while now and it would be the best thing for me.