Sunday, September 9, 2007

Giant Eagle's a little slice of beer heavan

That's right, it's a regular blog-o-rama here today at the Truckster. We go in spurts...doesn't make me a bad person...

If you're a beer snob and haven't discovered Giant Eagle's beer section yet, you're missing the best beer selection I've ever seen in a chain grocery store. I discovered this a few years back when Giant Eagle landed in Columbus. Any store that builds a walk-in beer cooler in the middle of the store is going to get my business, and I've bought plenty of non-pale American pilsner beers there.

Today, however, it seemingly got better. My local Giant Eagle expanded beyond the cathedral like cooler. Today I noticed the following available in The Beer Section:
  • Chimay - If you've never tried this Trappist Ale, you're missing out. I bought a bottle of the Grand Reserve (blue label) to enjoy during the opening of the NFL season. No Bud Light in this house for football games.
  • Inside the cooler was a nice selection of Sam Smith's beers. The Oatmeal Stout gets most of the accolades, but I've had four or five from Sam Smith, and none of them are disappointing.
  • Next up was one I'd already purchased, but my purchase was in 6 pack form previously. Giant Eagle went above and beyond in providing a full 2 liter growler of Rogue Dead Guy ale. Dead Guy on tap is one of my favorites, but the bottles aren't quite the same. In the growler though, should be closer to draft than bottled. That purchase will have to wait, becuase...
  • Arrogant Bastard is available!! That's right, one of the greatest brews ever is on sale now at Giant Eagle. I found this one a couple of years ago when Garnett served me one, but didn't stumble across it again for a while. Then during Blankensoft's going away party we found that BJ's on Polaris had it on tap. And now to find bottles of it available at a local grocery? I reigned myself in and only bought 3 bottles.
Thankfully the Chimay and Arrogant Bastard I purchased have a high alcohol content...helps dull the pain of the Bears 4 turnovers. Add in their up-the-gut failers on 2nd and 2, 3rd and 3, and 4th and 2, and it's time for more beer...

1 comment:

James Bender said...

-- Thankfully the Chimay and Arrogant Bastard I purchased have a high alcohol content...helps dull the pain of the Bears 4 turnovers. Add in their up-the-gut failers on 2nd and 2, 3rd and 3, and 4th and 2, and it's time for more beer...

I'm a Browns fan, what kind of heroine does Giant Eagle have? :(